Saturday, November 15, 2014

Slow Cooker Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas

I'm sort of easing back into this blogging thing slowly.  Very slowly.  But I MUST tell you about this amazing recipe that we had the other night.  I met Erin Chase from $5 Dinners earlier this year, and I was inspired to spend some time at her website.  I've been using it for our meal planning for several weeks now, and there have been some huge hits!

So far, my absolute favorite recipe has been Slow Cooker Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas (Vegetarian).  There was a run on corn tortillas in this one grocery store town, so I made it with corn chips instead and did layers instead of actual enchiladas.  AND, I failed to read the recipe and just threw the whole thing into the crockpot like a crazy woman.  AND, due to our schedule that day, I put it in the fridge and asked the food critics to put it into the slow cooker when they got home, testing my theory that this might be a tactic that we could use in the future.

And the people loved it.  Dinner was properly cooked at the correct time.  Not one of the food critics complained, and it wasn't until about 3/4 of the way through dinner that my husband said, "Is this vegetarian?"  (Um, do you see the vegetarian food critic scarfing it down?)  There weren't even any leftovers for lunch, and that never happens around here.

This dish is going into our regular rotation.  It took about 5 minutes to put into the crock pot, and it probably cooked on medium for about four hours between the time the girls got home from school and the time we ate dinner.

Cheap, easy and fabulous.  What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment